Derbyshire Constabulary/Derbyshire Alert Message
We are offering advice to parents and carers on how they can help young people stay safe online.
With many children currently being taught at home, youngsters may well spend more time on tablets, phones and laptops than usual.
We want to help children stay safe and are encouraging adults to think about what youngsters may be accessing online.
The most effective ways to keep a child safe are to
1) show interest in their life
2) model responsible social media use yourself
3) keep talking to them about what is going on online and what they like to access
4) ensure you have your child's passwords and PINs for devices and apps
5) listen if they seem down or concerned about anything they have seen or experienced online
6) report any serious concerns
You can check out an app before your child downloads it at www.net-aware.org.uk/
This allows you to see the risks and to get independent reviews from both parents and children.
The website www.internetmatters.org gives information on how to set up parental controls as well as a guide on how to monitor apps.
If you want to report any concerns, visit the CEOP website www.ceop.police.uk/safety-centre
Posted: Wed, 25 Mar 2020 11:01 by Sara Atkinson